CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Better Butter


I found this easy way to make homemade butter. It only took about 20 minutes! I think the key was pouring a quart of heavy cream into the bowl, covering it and letting it sit for about 5 hours... to slightly sour. Then when I started whipping it... the butter came together almost immediately! I was also left with over a cup of buttermilk. After whipping it (when it starts to look like cottage cheese) you drain it in cheesecloth (the liquid that drains out is buttermilk... save this)... and squeeze the buttermilk out of the butter... I then rinsed the butter a few times... and sprinkled it with about 1/2 tsp. of kosher salt... and then started folding it and smearing it against the side of the bowl.. until all of the liquid had drained away... I've now patted it into a block and was told that it is best the next day... when the flavors mature. I still spread a little on some homemade wheat bread... deelisious!!!

2 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

That looks wonderful! Lindsey just made a loaf of homemade wheat bread in her breadmachine today. Wish we had some of your homemade butter! Twyla

Rima said...

So very yummy! This is making me hungry.